Does a CFO need a permit to operate?

Yes: A CFO will need a permit from the applicable City, Town or County Planning Department and the Department of Environmental Health as follows: 

 County Planning Department – Includes the unincorporated areas of the county. The Planning Department requires that you obtain a Home Business Permit, which is a ministerial administrative permit pursuant to Section L-II 3.11 of the Nevada County Land Use and Development Code, before commencing CFO business activities. − Applications shall be submitted to the Nevada County Planning Department and the Nevada County Environmental Health Department at the same time. 

 City or Town Planning Department For CFOs that are within an incorporated area of the County, including the City of Grass Valley, City of Nevada City or the Town of Truckee please contact the applicable Planning Department for those agencies. - City of Grass Valley (530) 274-4349 - Nevada City (530) 265-2496 - Town of Truckee (530) 582-2927. Written approval from the applicable City Planning Department shall be received prior to applying with the Nevada County Environmental Health Department. 

 Department of Environmental Health − For Class A: CFOs (direct sale only), annual registration with the local environmental health department is all that is required. − For Class B: CFOs (direct and indirect), an annual permit from the local environmental health department is required. − The registration/permit is not transferable between:  Persons  Locations  Type of food sales [i.e., direct sales (class “A”) vs. indirect sales (class “B”)]  Type of distribution 

 Other requirements: − Check on other state or local requirements that may be applicable, such as Sellers Permits through the Board of Equalization, or Business Licenses through your city or county. 

Show All Answers

1. What is a Cottage Food Operation (CFO)?
2. What is meant by “private home"?
3. Can a CFO have employees?
4. Are there limitations on the size of CFO’s sales?
5. What types of cottage food can a CFO prepare?
6. What are the two categories of CFOs?
7. What is meant by “direct sale” of cottage food?
8. What is meant by “indirect sale” of cottage food?
9. Can I deliver my orders to customers using US Mail, UPS FedEx or other indirect delivery methods?
10. What are the CFO’s operational requirements?
11. What are the water sampling requirements for a CFO on a private, individual water supply (not connected to a public, treated water supply)?
12. Does a CFO need a permit to operate?
13. How much will the CFO registration or permit cost?
14. How often will a CFO be inspected?
15. What would be my food labeling requirements?
16. Can a CFO expand their home kitchen area square footage?
17. What is my legal responsibility as a cottage food operator in ensuring that my food product is safe?
18. What if I find out an ingredient I used has been recalled because it can make people sick or has been identified as the cause of food borne illness?
19. What is my liability as a cottage food business operating out of my home?
20. What other educational resources and guidelines are available to assist me in ensuring I am making a safe food product?
21. What can I do to ensure I am still meeting legal requirements if my cottage food operation grows to exceed the gross annual sales limit?
22. Where can I file a complaint about a cottage food operation or cottage food product?
23. I want to become a CFO - What should I do now?