There are areas of concern in my neighborhood. What is the best way to remedy them?

The best approach is friendly in person conversations neighbor to neighbor with the people who own the property of concern.  In most situations, neighbors care about one another’s safety, and are open to accommodating requests when they fully understand the situation and need – and are asked nicely.  If this fails, then you can reach out to the City, Town, County, CAL FIRE, or your local Fire District (whatever agency is most appropriate for your situation) and they can help provide guidance, look at the property, talk with the owner, and move the process forward.  It should always start at the neighbor to neighbor level as that is most effective, timely, and efficient. Learn more about communicating with property owners and find template letters stating concerns here. 

Show All Answers

1. What are the defensible space laws?
2. There are areas of concern in my neighborhood. What is the best way to remedy them?
3. I’ve tried talking to neighbors and working with Firewise Communities to create change but it isn’t working. Where can I report a concerning property? Can someone force them to fix it?
4. I’m a renter and my landlord is not managing the property. What should I do?
5. Where can I dispose of green waste?
6. Are there any grants available to help me pay for cleaning up my property?
7. What is permissible at the green waste drop sites?
8. Can I get a schedule of planned large clearing projects?
9. Where can I get materials for my home to make it more fire-resistant?
10. How can I find out if I’m in a Firewise Community or learn how to start one?
11. What are the building codes for vents?
12. Are there local community emergency exercises?
13. What has been the County’s community outreach effort?
14. Does the County have a wildfire plan?
15. Is there a local wildfire task force?