What benefits can my family get?

Spina Bifida Birth Defect


In 1996, President Clinton and VA Secretary Jesse Brown asked Congress to pass legislation providing health care, monthly disability compensation, and vocational rehabilitation to the children of Vietnam veterans suffering from the serious birth defect spina bifida, which has been linked to the veterans' exposure to Agent Orange. Congress passed the legislation, marking the first time our nation had ever compensated the children of veterans for a birth defect associated with their parent's exposure to toxic chemicals during their military service. VA is now providing benefits to over 800 children, including minors and adults.


Effective December 16, 2003, Congress authorized these benefits to children with spina bifida of certain veterans who served at or near the demilitarized zone in Korea between September 1, 1967 and August 31, 1971, because Agent Orange is known to have been sprayed in that area.

Survivor Benefits

Survivors of veterans (including spouses, children and dependent parents) who died as the result of a service-connected disease may be eligible for monthly Dependency and Indemnity Compensation benefits. These survivors may also be eligible for education, home loan and medical care benefits.

Show All Answers

1. What is agent orange?
2. As a Vietnam Veteran, what kind of benefits can I get?
3. How much compensation will I get?
4. What evidence do I need?
5. Who can get benefits?
6. What benefits can my family get?
7. What if my claim is denied?
8. Can I appeal beyond the VA regional office?
9. Can I appeal to a court?
10. What if I served in vietnam and have a disease not on VA's list?
11. What if I was exposed to an herbicide outside Vietnam?