- Departments S - Z
- Treasurer-Tax Collector
- Auction (Property Tax Sale)
Auction (Property Tax Sale)
Upcoming Tax Auctions
- Auction Date: November 2023
- Auction Properties: TBD Th Upcoming Tax Auctions
- Auction Website: GovEase.com
Properties in Nevada County that have had tax delinquencies for five or more years may be offered for sale by the Tax Collector. The primary purpose of the tax sale is to return the tax-defaulted property to the tax rolls. Offering the property for sale achieves this by either selling the property or forcing redemption. Note to potential buyers: PROPERTY REMAINS PROPERTY OF THE OWNER UP UNTIL CLOSE OF TAX AUCTION. THEY HAVE THE ABILITY TO REDEEM THE PROPERTY BY PAYING TAXES IN FULL UP UNTIL 5 PM THE DAY BEFORE THE AUCTION BEGINS. THE TAX COLLECTOR CAN NOT GRANT ANYONE ACCESS TO A PROPERTY.
All parcels offered at public auction are sold “as is”. No warranty is expressed or implied in any manner regarding property sold at the public auction, including, but not limited to, the following example: no claims are made to guarantee access to, or building permits for, any of the parcels involved in the sale. Prior to bidding, it is your responsibility to adequately research properties so you know what you are buying. The County assumes no liability for any other possible liens, encumbrances, or easement, recorded or not recorded.
Lack of adequate research may result in the purchase of unusable property, with no entitlement to a refund. All sales are final. The ability to challenge a sale extends one year from the date tax deeds are recorded. Buyers should be aware that rescission of the sale could occur, although very rarely. Should the sale be considered invalid, the tax deed will be rescinded, and the buyer will receive a full refund of the purchase price.
Past Auction Information and Available Excess Proceeds
- Results of the January 31, 2023 Re-Offer sale. There were no excess proceeds generated from this sale.
- Results of the November 3, 2022 Tax Auction. Excess proceeds claim form and instructions have been mailed to all parties of interest. Claim forms are due no later than November 21, 2023 at 5 p.m. See Excess Proceeds Publication
- Results of the November 4-8, 2021 Tax Auction. Excess proceeds claim form and instructions were mailed to all parties of interest on December 2, 2021. The claiming period has closed and received claims are being reviewed for eligibility and distribution of funds.
- Results of the January 24-27, 2020 Re-offer Tax Auction: Claiming period has closed. There were no claims submitted. See Excess Proceeds Publication for parties of interest.
- Results of the January 28, 2019 Re-Offer Tax Auction (PDF): No excess proceeds resulted from this auction.
- Results of the November 12, 2018 Tax Auction (PDF): Claiming period has closed. Excess proceeds have been distributed to eligible claimants with the exception of one, which is still under review for distribution. See Excess Proceeds Publication for parties of interest.
- Results of the January 22, 2018 Tax Auction (PDF): Claiming period has closed. Excess proceeds have been distributed to eligible claimants. See Excess Proceeds Publication for parties of interest.