CalWORKs - Cash Assistance for Families

Accessing Services Remotely

  • Visit to apply online, upload documents, renew benefits, or report changes
  • Call 530-265-1340 if you have questions about your case or need to request a new BIC or EBT card
  • Call 1-877-328-9677 to check your EBT balance
  • All Medi-Cal renewals are waived until June 2023 at the earliest. You will receive a renewal packet in the mail when it is time for your renewal - to update your mailing address, please call 530-265-1340
  • Employment Services orientation can be completed online.

Temporary Financial Assistance

CalWORKs is a temporary financial assistance program for low- or no- income families with children. We help all kinds of families who have fallen on hard times due to a variety of issues such as fleeing domestic violence, illness or death of an income earner, substance use, child behavior or developmental challenges, homelessness, legal or criminal record constraints, or job loss. 

You can learn about some of the families we've helped by reading this publication: HHSA "Stronger Together" Publication.

Employment Services

CalWORKs financial assistance is available to children regardless of whether their parents choose to participate in Employment Services. If you participate in Employment Services, you may be eligible to receive CalWORKs cash assistance for yourself, in addition to support with expenses related to your job or education.

As an Employment Services participant, you will receive support in identifying and working towards career and/or education goals.

Learn more about the Employment Services program.

How To Apply

You can start an application for CalWORKs on the BenefitsCal website.

You can also visit any of our offices to apply in person, or call 530-265-1340 to request an application be mailed to you.

EBT Fraud Alert

Be aware of EBT scams - never give you EBT card number or PIN to anyone. The County and State will never call or text you to ask for your EBT card information.

If you get a text message or phone call about your benefits and aren't sure if it's legitimate, do not respond - you can contact Nevada County Social Services directly at (530) 265-1340 to find out if there's anything you need to do.

If you have given your EBT card number or PIN to someone, call (877) 328-9677 right away to change your PIN, report the scam, and file a claim if benefits were stolen.