How to Get a Library Card
Whether a Nevada County resident or non-resident, everyone is eligible for a free library card. Sign up in person at any of our library locations, or read these instructions to apply online:
- Remember to write down your 6-digit temporary login
- This is a Temporary Online Registration only. Bring proof of residency and identification to any Nevada County Library location within 30 days of registering online to verify your account and receive a permanent library card. After 30 days, your temporary registration will be deleted.
- With this temporary login you can access the library's digital resources, place physical items on hold, and access your account through the library's online catalog.
Note: In compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection act, you must be 13 or older in order to complete the library card registration.
For children ages 0 to 12. Must have the application signed by a parent or legal guardian with proof of identification.
For teens ages 13 to 17. Student identification card from a local school, driver’s license, or other identification requested. Parent/guardian does not need to be present at time of application.
For patrons 18 and older. Verification of California or Washoe County, Nevada address and identity requested
For all ages. Verification of identity or address not required
All library cards expire every 3 years, and patrons must verify current address to renew the account.
- Youth, Teen & Adult - no limit to number of items borrowed
- Limited - borrow up to 10 items, excluding equipment; verification of identity or address not required
- Student Success - borrow up to 3 items, excluding media and equipment; enrolled through Western County High Schools or Tahoe Truckee Unified School District
- Educator - no limit to number of items borrowed; 60-day loan period excluding equipment; see Educator Card page for more information
Photo identification and proof of address is required to activate your library card. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Government-issued photo ID
- Current utility bill with name and address
- Tribal ID card
- Student ID card
- Paycheck stub with address
- A piece of mail addressed to applicant
- Voter registration
- Letter or lease agreement from current place of residence