Apply for Federal Assistance

Apply for Federal Assistance


Residents and business owners who sustained losses may begin applying for assistance by registering online at or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA(3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired. The toll-free telephone numbers operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. (local time) seven days a week. 

How Can FEMA Help You?

Assistance from FEMA may help you and members of your household affected by a disaster take care of necessary expenses and serious needs that cannot be met through insurance or other forms of assistance.

FEMA Disaster Assistance

Eligibility Criteria for Housing and Other Needs Assistance

  • Your disaster losses must be in a Presidentially declared disaster area;
  • A member of your household must be a United States citizen, a non-citizen national, or a qualified alien; 
  • You have necessary expenses or serious needs as a result of the disaster that are not covered by insurance, or you filed an insurance claim but your benefits are not enough to cover your expenses, or your damage was not covered by insurance or other sources. 

Housing Assistance

Housing Assistance may provide financial or direct assistance, including:

  • Rental Assistance: Financial assistance to rent temporary housing while disaster-caused repairs are made to your primary residence, or while transitioning to permanent housing. 
  • Lodging Expense Reimbursement: Financial assistance reimbursement for short-term lodging expenses. 
  • Home Repair: Financial assistance for homeowners to repair uninsured home damage caused by the disaster. The assistance is intended to repair the home to a safe, sanitary and functioning living condition. 
  • Home Replacement: Financial assistance for homeowners who must replace or rebuild their primary residence as a result of the disaster. 
  • Direct Housing: In limited circumstances where adequate temporary housing resources are not available within a reasonable commuting distance, FEMA may provide a temporary housing unit directly to homeowners and renters. 

Other Needs Assistance

  • Child Care: Financial assistance for increased child care costs as a result of the disaster. Eligible expenses include child care costs for children aged 13 and under and/or children with a disability, as defined by Federal law, up to age 21, who need assistance with activities of daily living.  Financial assistance to repair or replace common household items including, but not limited to, furnishings, appliances, essential tools and assistive equipment that supports daily living activities. 
  • Medical/Dental: Financial assistance to pay for medical or dental expenses or losses caused by the disaster. This includes, but is not limited to, hospital and ambulance services, medication, and the repair or replacement of medically necessary assistive devices or technology. 
  • Funeral: Financial assistance for expenses incurred due to a death or disinterment caused directly or indirectly by the disaster. Expenses include, but are not limited to, the cost of a casket or urn and funeral services. 
  • Miscellaneous Expenses: Financial assistance to purchase specific items not owned prior to the disaster. They may include, but are not limited to, items such as a wet/dry vacuum, chainsaw, or a generator for a medically necessary device. 
  • Transportation: Financial assistance to repair or replace a vehicle damaged by the disaster. 
  • Moving and Storage Expenses: Financial assistance to temporarily move and store personal property from the damaged primary residence while repairs are made. Assistance may also be provided for moving essential household goods to a new primary residence. 
  • Clean and Removal: Financial assistance for services to remove contaminants and disinfect surface areas of the home affected by floodwater. 
  • Critical Needs: Financial assistance for applicants who have immediate or critical needs because they are displaced from their primary dwelling.