- Board of Supervisors
- Board of Supervisors' Objectives
- Climate Resilience
Safeguard Nevada County’s economic durability, environmental integrity, and public health and safety by preparing for, adapting to, and mitigating changing climate conditions in a way that reflects our rural quality of life.
Nevada County faces immediate and long-term health and safety and economic impacts resulting from a changing climate, such as wildfires, snowstorms, and other extreme weather events. We recognize the opportunity to address climate resilience as a priority objective to mitigate risk to our community and work strategically to access currently available State and Federal resources for climate adaptation.
We have identified five initiatives to position the county for important resources and funding while accomplishing meaningful progress.
- Protect and harden critical infrastructure.
- Enhance carbon storage and sequestration on natural and working lands.
- Enhance collaboration to increase community capacity and achieve climate goals.
- Pursue funding and advocacy opportunities.
- Align strategies in a coordinated strategic plan.
Learn More & Get Involved
- Check out our Energy Efficiency website to learn more about steps Nevada County is taking to improve our energy efficiency, water efficiency, and renewable energy resources.
- Download our Energy Efficiency Toolkit to learn more about how you can improve energy efficiency at home.
- Read our Local Hazard Mitigation Plan to learn how Nevada County and our partners plan to reduce or eliminate long-term risk to people and property from a variety of hazards.
- See the Sierra Nevada Climate Vulnerability Assessment for a localized view of climate risks and hazards.
- Nevada County is working on our first-ever Recreation & Resiliency Master Plan. As part of the planning process, there will be opportunities for the public to provide comments, join in on surveys, and help develop the proposed master plan. To get involved please sign up to receive Recreation News.
If you are interested in learning more about Nevada County's Climate Resilience objective, please email Ariel Lovett. If you are interested in participating in the Energy Action Plan community workgroup, please email Jeffrey Thorsby.
View our most recent quarterly report to see our progress on this Board objective.