- Departments S - Z
- Corrections Division
- Corrections Division Public Documents
(a) When a person who is in custody dies, the agency with jurisdiction over the state or local correctional facility with custodial responsibility for the person at the time of their death shall, consistent with reporting requirements pursuant to Section 12525 of the Government Code, post all of the following on its internet website:
(1) The full name of the agency with custodial responsibility at the time of death.
(2) The county in which the death occurred.
(3) The facility in which the death occurred, and the location within that facility where the death occurred.
(4) The race, gender, and age of the decedent.
(5) The date on which the death occurred.
(6) The custodial status of the decedent, including, but not limited to, whether the person was awaiting arraignment, awaiting trial, or incarcerated.
(7) The manner and means of death.
(b) (1) Subject to paragraph (2), the information shall be posted for the public to view on the agency’s internet website within 10 days of the date of death. If any of the information changes, including, but not limited to, the manner and means of death, the agency shall update the posting within 30 days of the change.
(2) If the agency seeks to notify the next of kin and is unable to notify them within 10 days of the death, the agency shall be given an additional 10 days to make good faith efforts to notify next of kin before the information shall be posted for the public to view on the agency’s internet website.