Public Works Permits
- PLEASE NOTE: Public access to the Community Development Agency Lobby at the Nevada County Government Center is now open from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. Both appointments and walk-ins are available between 8:00 am and 3:30 pm for New Projects Submittals. New Project Submittals are not accepted after 3:30 pm. To make an appointment, learn how to book an appointment by department.
Applying for a Public Works Permit
To apply for a Public Works permit or ask questions related to the permit process, you may obtain service via the following resources:
- Online: Our Citizen Access page allows you to search property/permit information such as current projects and application status, and submit permit applications. This system currently allows for only Public Works Encroachment Permit applications to be processed.
- By mail/email: Send all applications and other applicable documents to: Public.Works@co.nevada.ca.us or by mail with your fees included to Public Works at 950 Maidu Avenue, Nevada City, CA 95959.
- In-Person: The Public Works Department is located at the Nevada County Government Center at 950 Maidu Ave in Nevada City. Currently, due to COVID-19, the CDA Lobby is open by appointment only.
- Phone/Fax: Phone messages are checked twice each hour between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday - through Friday at (530) 265-1411/ Fax (530) 265-9849
- Book an Appointment: Click here for our Online Appointment system.
- To get started: choose the appropriate permit from the column to the left.
- Payments: Public Works Fees may be paid by check, cash (do not mail). Only Encroachment Permit Applications are available for online credit card processing at the time of submission through the Citizens Access Page .and other permit/surveyor fees may be paid by credit card by accessing our online Payment Processing.
- Credit card payments cannot be taken over the phone or by mail at this time.
- Submittal Checklists: The submittal checklist is intended to assist you in preparing and submitting a complete application. You must complete & submit all items for your application to be accepted. All items listed must be reviewed and fees paid before a permit will be issued.
- Commencement of Work: Any work or event on County maintained roads or on a Sewer Connection, cannot begin until the applicable permit has been issued. The checklist should be submitted as a cover page with your application.
- Approval Process: The permit approval process varies and may be affected by a number of elements such as an incomplete application package, non-compliance to building standards or regulations, holidays, weather, and other unforeseen events. The following are the standard expected turn-around times for permits
- Encroachment - 7 to 10 business days
- Transportation - 1-3 business days for single, 7-10 business days for annual-Permits are not valid on weekends or holidays.
- Sewer - 7 to 10 business days.