Cash Assistance for Individuals

Accessing Services Remotely

  • Visit to apply online, upload documents, renew benefits, or report changes
  • Call 530-265-1340 if you have questions about your case or need to request a new BIC or EBT card
  • Call 1-877-328-9677 to check your EBT balance
  • All Medi-Cal renewals are waived until June 2023 at the earliest. You will receive a renewal packet in the mail when it is time for your renewal - to update your mailing address, please call 530-265-1340
  • Employment Services orientation can be completed online.

General Assistance

The General Assistance program is a supplemental assistance program for those persons who are ineligible for aid under any federal or state program which is designed to meet all of the applicant/recipient's needs, such as CalWORKs, or the Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment (SSI / SSP). 

It is, in large part, an emergency assistance program to be used when other resources are not available or cannot be developed to meet the needs of the applicant(s). General Assistance is a repayable grant, not an entitlement program.

The program also provides temporary services to employable individuals. Cal-JOBS work registration and proof of weekly job search are mandatory.

How to Apply

You can apply for General Assistance at our Truckee or Nevada City offices. You will need to provide verification of residence, citizenship, identification, income, property. We suggest you bring documentation with you such as bills in your name, Social Security card or drivers license, rental lease, birth certificate, pay stubs, bank account statements, proof of other property including vehicles.