Self-Service Options

Coronavirus Information: Accessing Services Remotely

  • Visit to apply online, upload documents, renew benefits, or report changes.
  • Call 530-265-1340 if you have questions about your case or need to request a new BIC or EBT card.
  • Call 1-877-328-9677 to check your EBT balance.
  • All Medi-Cal renewals are waived until further notice. CalFresh and CalWORKs renewals may be completed without an interview in some situations.
  • Employment Services orientation can be completed online.


Sign up online for a free BenefitsCal account to:

  • Get Up-To-Date Case/Benefit Information
  • Receive Messages From Your Worker
  • Find Out About Important Upcoming Due Dates
  • Check the Status of Your Application/Renewal
  • Recertify (Renew) Online
  • Report Changes For Your Case
  • Upload Verification Documents
  • Download Forms

Visit the BenefitsCal website today!

Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System

You can call 877-410-8825 to reach our automated phone system. You can get information about:

  • Benefit Amounts
  • Office Hours and Location
  • Status of Your Program
  • Worker Contact Information

You will need your Case Number and Personal Identification Number (PIN) to access the IVR system. If you don't have a PIN, the IVR system will provide you instructions on how to get your PIN when you call.

EBT Customer Service

You can call the EBT customer service phone number at (877) 328-9677. (This number is also printed on the back of your EBT card.) The EBT customer service number will let you:

  • Check your EBT card balance (CalFresh, CalWORKs, or General Assistance balance)
  • Report your EBT card lost or stolen - wait through two card number prompts without entering your EBT card number and you will hear a prompt to report your card as lost or stolen.

Additional Options

You may also email or call our office directly at 530-265-1340.