Codes Enforced

What codes does Code Compliance enforce?

  • The Code Compliance Division enforces regulations to the following:
  • Condition of existing structures that constitute a clear and present danger to the public.
  • Building Code violations (building, electric, plumbing, mechanical, access, etc) including construction without permits.
  • California State Housing Law (minimum standards for safe and sanitary housing).
  • Illegal solid waste.
  • Zoning requirements for structures such as use, location, configuration, size, and land use requirements.
  • Abandoned Vehicles.

Click here for a Code Compliance Complaint Form.

Consider another option: Mediation

Looking for another option? Before submitting a Code Compliance complaint, have you considered mediation? Sometimes issues can be resolved between neighbors without a Code Officer’s official involvement.  The Conflict Resolution Center (CRC), is a non-profit provider of mediation and counseling, working with residents, businesses, and organizations of Nevada County to find common ground.  You can access more information by visiting

Who enforces brush and weeds abatement?

Complaints received by the Code Compliance Division regarding weeds and brush in unincorporated Nevada County will be referred to the Office of Emergency Services' Defensible Space Division. Complaints received by the Code Compliance Division regarding weeds and brush impacting incorporated Nevada County will be referred to the corresponding Fire Department or District (Nevada City Fire Department, Grass Valley Fire Department, Truckee Fire Department). For faster resolution, it is suggested you call these complaints regarding incorporated Nevada County into the local Fire Department. You can obtain a list of Fire Districts serving Nevada County here.

Who enforces the illegal dumping of trash?

Complaints received by the Code Compliance Division regarding trash and illegal dumping on the vacant or non-developed property will be referred to the Environmental Health Department. For faster resolution, it is suggested that you report these complaints to the Environmental Health Department or the Illegal Dumping Hotline at (530) 265-7111.

Are abandoned/inoperative vehicles on my property a violation?

Vehicles on private property that are abandoned, inoperative, wrecked, or dismantled are a violation of the Land Use and Development Code of Nevada County.

In response to written complaints, a Code Officer will visit the property in question and determine if the vehicles located there meet the criteria of abandoned, wrecked, dismantled or inoperative. You will be asked to remove, conceal, or make operative each vehicle found to be in violation. The size and characteristics of your property can also dictate the form of remedy.

You can request a hearing before the County Zoning Administrator prior to any action if you wish to contest the County’s decision that the vehicles are a nuisance.

If all else fails, an abatement order will be sought from the Court to remove vehicles that remain in violation. Cooperation in resolving these matters is always the desired course of action.

Who do I contact to report abandoned vehicles on public roads?

The County participates in the Abandoned Vehicle Abatement Program funded by the Abandoned Vehicle Trust Fund. This fund provides for a program of Vehicle Abatement from public roads according to the California Vehicle Code and local ordinance.  To report abandoned or wrecked vehicles on public roads please call the Abandoned Vehicle Hotline at (530) 470-2750 or click here to complete an Abandoned Vehicle Abatement form.

Who enforces trash collection and containers out for collection?

Complaints related to trash collection can be reported to the Department of Public Works. More information can be found at Solid Waste | Nevada County, CA ( Please contact the Department of Public works by phone at 530-265-1411 or by Email