Over The Counter Wednesday & Building Outpost Programs
The Building Outpost
When: 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Thursdays
Where: Nevada County Contractor’s Association, 149 Crown Point Court, Suite A, Grass Valley.
Details: (530) 265-1222, extension 1 or email BuildingDept@co.nevada.ca.us.
The Nevada County Building Department's satellite office is located within the Nevada Contractors' Association office at 149 Crown Point Ct. in Grass Valley. Department Staff is available onsite Thursdays from 9:00 am until 1:00 pm. Services available at this site will include application submittals, obtaining over-the-counter permits, project resubmittals, fee estimates, and general building permit and plan check questions.
Please note that not all services will be available at the Building Outpost. If you had previously applied for a permit at the County office and would like to pick up your permit at the Outpost, please contact the Building Department prior to Thursday to arrange an appointment.
Over the Counter Wednesday
When: Wednesdays by appointment
Where: 950 Maidu Ave., Nevada City
Appointments: To verify if your project qualifies and schedule an appointment, contact (530) 265-1222, extension 1 or email BuildingDept@co.nevada.ca.us.
The Over-the-Counter Wednesday Plan Review by Appointment Program is a program that was created to allow customers, contractors, and their designers to schedule appointments with appropriate Community Development Agency staff to review plans for minor and moderate commercial tenant improvements, residential remodels, and other qualified projects.
Projects that May Qualify:
- Deck Replacement or Construction and Patio Covers
- Interior Commercial Tenant Improvements (non-structural) less than 1,500 square feet for Retail or Business Occupancies
- Interior Residential Kitchen and/or Bathroom Remodels
- Residential Additions less than 600 square feet
- Residential Ground Mount and Commercial Roof or Ground Mount Solar
- Residential Storage Sheds, Barns, and/or Garages less than 600 square feet
- Residential Swimming Pools
Projects that Do Not Qualify:
- As-Built Projects
- Commercial Additions
- Interior Tenant Improvements with Structural Alterations
- New Building Construction (other than sheds, barns, etc, as listed above)
- Projects with Hazardous Materials
- Tenant Improvements with a Change of Building Use
If you are interested in this program or you have any questions, please contact the Building Department. One of our staff members will verify that your project qualifies for the program and schedule an appointment. Appointments will be scheduled a minimum of 2 days prior to the Wednesday appointment date on an hourly basis generally between 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
What to Bring
You will need to bring the following with you to your scheduled appointment:
- 3 sets of complete constructions plans
- Approval from the City of Nevada City, if located within the City limits of Nevada City
- Required forms (Deferred Submittal form (PDF), etc.)
- Be prepared to pay the plan review and permit fees at the time of approval and issuance.
- Completed Building Permit Application (PDF) and Plan Submittal Checklist (PDF)
- For some commercial tenant improvement projects, approval from the local fire district may be required.
- Receipts for payment of fees to school (PDF) and fire districts, if required. School and Fire Districts Fees may be necessary for additions, conversions of habitable space, and new construction. This item may be deferred.
- Your design professional
If you have any questions, please contact the Nevada County Building Department directly by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at (530) 265-1222.